HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has been working for years to replace the Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system with a new platform, the Customs Declaration Service (CDS).
After running for nearly 30 years, the date has been set for CHIEF to be replaced for good. The transition period started in August 2018 and is scheduled to end in March 2023.
HMRC will gradually reduce CHIEF services. The functionalities will be switched off in two phases:
- As from Friday, September 30, 2022, you will no longer be able to submit new import declarations using CHIEF
- As from Friday, March 31, 2023, you will no longer be able to submit new export declarations using CHIEF
So if you import or export you need to take action now.
You need to do the following –
- Register for a Government Gateway Account
- This is where you access the CDS service – if you don’t have an account register here
- You must have an EORI number
- If you don’t have one register here
- Register for the CDS
- This can take up to 5 working days so don’t delay click here
- You will need the following –
- Your Government Gateway User ID and password
- Your GB EORI number
- Your UTR (unique tax reference) number
- The address of your business held on customs records
- Your NI (National Insurance) number if you are a sole trader
- The date you started your business
- Paying VAT and Duty
- If you are using postponed VAT accounting you will need to access your statement via the CDS
- If TPS Global or your freight forwarding partner do this on your behalf and then invoice you, nothing changes for you.
- If you have your own duty deferment account, the new CDS has a different bank account to CHIEF so you will need to set up a new direct debit.
- You will need to re-authorise TPS or any other freight forwarding companies you work with to use your deferment account.
- This can all be done in the CDS finance dashboard along with choosing –
- A cash account; this will replace the FAS (flexible accounting system), you will be set up with one once you’ve registered for CDS
- Immediate payment by BACS CHAPS online or telephone banking – paying by DD, cheque or corporate credit card.
- Individual guarantee can be used to cover customs duties for one-off or high value imports
- General guarantee account – this allows you to provide multiple guarantees from the same account and continue importing goods into the UK paying a disputed amount at a later date, once agreed.
If you need any advice or help with customs procedures please contact –
Paige Carpenter, Sea Freight Manager DD: +44 (0)1634 568961
Amy Pope, Air Freight Supervisor DD: +44 (0)1634 564300
Or one of the team on +44 (0)1622 237979 email@example.com